My Story

true strength

Hi, my name is Chrissy Fields, I’m 31 years old, and this is my story:

Last June my boyfriend, Chris, planned a trip to Atlantic City with our family and friends for my 30th birthday. Almost all of my closest friends traveled to be there as well as most of our family members. It was the most amazing weekend of my life and the best birthday I could ever imagine.

So far, 30 was looking like it was going to be a great year!

The end of 2013 came and with 2014 new beginnings arrived. In January, I planned a small little pub-crawl for Chris’ birthday. A few members of his family as well as a few of my friends came out for the event. The night was going good, we had made it to bar number 3 and for the most part, people weren’t too tipsy yet.

As we finished up our drinks to head to the next bar, Chris grabbed me aside and asked me to walk under the Christmas lights in the North End. It looked beautiful but it was January and a little out of the way so I made some snide remark like, “Christmas is over, get over it.” Being that Christmas is Chris’ favorite holiday, I obviously gave in to his request and as we walked under the lights I decided to take a picture of him since he was so excited!

As I looked up from my purse, there he was on one knee asking me to marry him. It could not have been more perfect or more him.

All of our friends and family were watching from afar as it became more apparent that I was the only one not in the loop of what was happening. Naturally I said yes, only asking if he had successfully asked my dad for permission and off to the 4th bar we went. When we arrived, we were greeted by almost all of my friends, my closest family members, and all of Chris’ family. It was the most perfect ending to the most perfect night.

I told you, 30 was going to be a great year!

Chris & I had been saving money and hoping we would be able to purchase a home sometime within 2014. In early April, Chris went to meet with a mortgage broker and got preapproved for us to buy a two-family. We had hoped for a two-family to start so we could have an income property and try to get ahead. Everything was going perfectly: We were going to buy our first house, get married, and start our perfect little family with our white picket fence!

As April went on, I started to have a pain in my right breast. I didn’t think anything of it and just brushed it off as I do with most pains/aches. As the month went on, the pain got worse and became constant. I decided to feel around and see what the hell was causing this. As I did, I’m pretty sure I yelled a slew of obscenities in the bathroom by myself.

I had found a lump.

I called my doctor that day and went in for a breast exam. She also felt it and decided to send me for an ultrasound to get a better look. A day later I was in another office getting my boobs squished into a mammogram machine and showing them off to the ultrasound technician. After the ultrasound, the radiologist came in to tell me that the ultrasound didn’t look good and that he was concerned. They scheduled me for a biopsy 2 days later.

On biopsy day, I met a new radiologist and in she went to my breast and my lymph nodes. I was told I would have my results in 2-3 days and my doctor would be the one to call with them. Two to three days may seem like nothing to the average person but when you are waiting to find out if you have the Big C, it’s an eternity!

Two days went by and I couldn’t wait anymore. I was leaving the next day for Ft. Lauderdale for my best friend’s bachelorette party and a nice girls weekend with my best friends. I called my doctor on May 1st and the secretary told me she could not give me the information over the phone but my doctor would call me within 10 minutes. When my doctor called back, my world came crashing down. I had breast cancer in my right breast. The lymph node they tested was negative but it didn’t necessarily mean it wasn’t in my lymph nodes. I was scheduled to meet with a breast surgeon for the following Monday and for now I was off to Florida with my best friends to temporarily try to forget any of this was happening.

We met with the breast surgeon that Monday and were told that I had invasive ductal carcinoma. My cancer was ER/PR+ and they estimated I was at Stage I or II. My cancer was a grade 3, meaning it was most aggressive, but she reassured me aggressive responded best to treatment. There was no treatment plan yet but she would be meeting with a group of oncologists that afternoon and someone would call me to schedule my appointment with an oncologist.

Later that week, I met with my oncologist who told me that they had decided they wanted to treat my cancer as aggressively as possible due to my age and the grade. We would start with chemo, followed by radiation, and then surgery but first, I had to go for CT and bone scans. Off to the radiology department I went. I had both scans done and waited for the results. A few days later my oncologist called to tell me there were areas of concern in pelvis and she wanted to order an MRI as well as a biopsy of the area.

A week later I went to Beth Israel where they did the MRI and the following week I went in for the biopsy. Of course, with my luck my biopsy fell on the Thursday before Memorial Day and the results would take 5-7 business days. I thought 2-3 days of waiting was bad, 7 days is much worse! On May 29th, I met with my oncologist again and found out the cancer had spread to my pelvic bone. I am now Stage IV with metastasis to the bones.

So many thoughts went through my head at that moment, the fist one being “WOW, this sucks!” I’m only 30 years old, this doesn’t happen to people my age, why did this happen to me?

Bone cancer is not curable. I now have a disease I can’t beat because there is no cure. I have a chronic, lifelong condition that will take my life someday. For now all I can do is hope that we contain the cancer, shrink the cancer, make sure that it does not spread anywhere else in my body.

Science is amazing and I am praying and hoping every day that they will find a cure for metastatic breast cancer and I will beat this thing. Until then, I will stay positive and continue to dream of my future. This disease will not break me and as long as I have the support/prayers and positive thoughts from all my friends and family, I will be fine. As Bob Marley once said,

“Everything’s gonna be alright”